It is very important issue for garments manufacturer. As we know humidity affects everything around us. In general, air is universal and it is present everywhere. Air contains varying degree of moisture in it & depends on location, season, time of the day. It affects the property of everything it touches. Now, garments products use several kinds of moisture/humidity sensitive equipment during their production, processing, storage and packaging of goods. Moreover, uncontrolled humidity and moisture level results may affect in several defects in various production processes. Humidity control is even necessary to ensure the right maintenance and operations of machines. On the other hand, high humidity could cause air to condense upon the machines. In critical environments that utilize moisture-sensitive equipment like as reduction could lead to a malfunction in the devices.After read this article we will have clear idea about moisture issue on garments in apparel sector.
What is mold on Clothes
Mold can grow on damp clothes thus causing damage to them. Clothes made from natural fibers such as cotton, linen, ramie, jute, rayon, wool and silk are more susceptible to microbial damage than those made from synthetic fibers. Mold on clothes produce enzymes that breakdown the cellulose or protein. Clothes made from plant fibers those made of protein fibers (such as wool and silk) are less susceptible to attack but they are also damaged by molds capable of breaking down protein.
How to detect growth of mold on clothes
General symptom of this problem of mold on clothes is a characteristic musty smell in the closet. If it is careful examination of clothes may reveal stains with clearly visible pigmentation’s or visible mold growth. And also, it may observation under a microscope in a laboratory & it can reveal mold on clothes at the early stages of growth.
Relative humidity (RH) & Temperature on environment:
Relative humidity (RH) is the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapor to the equilibrium vapor pressure of water at a given temperature. It is depends on temperature and the pressure of the water vapor. Relative humidity is the ratio of the current absolute humidity to the highest possible absolute humidity.
A reading of 100 percent relative humidity means the air is totally saturated with water vapor where temperature is 10 percent & creating the possibility of rain. If the relative humidity is 52% where temperature is 20 percent it may water vapor presence in proportionally. On the other hand, If the relative humidity is 28% where temperature is 30 percent it may water vapor presence on environment is very less.
How to reading moisture on garments?
Normally, we can get moisture reading by machine .Most of the manufacturer has moisture reading machine in garments sector. They measure moisture level different position on garments in several times. Most of the buyer has different moisture standard level on environment. In Bangladesh we can assume moisture level standard RH 60%.On the basis, we can detect the moisture reading by machine.
Moisture Reading Machine
We should regularly measure moisture level so we can control this moisture before packing the goods. So, we need to be careful for checking moisture reading. Every day we should AM & PM moisture reading in different position on garments. We assume moisture standard RH level 60% because every buyer maintain standard level moisture on environment. Pls note that we will take moisture reading after iron & before packing on poly. We will cheek moisture reading different position on garments like as bottom hem, back Pocket, front pocket, waist band & fly.
Date: 24th August
Order Qty: 6600
Packed Qty: 5740 units
Balance Qty: 860 units
We will cheek moisture reading for 860 units’ because 5740 units already cheek moisture then it was packed. Moisture reading cheeked by moisture reading machine on different position on garments & will cheek minimum 5 pcs garment(1,2,3,4,5).If the moisture level RH over 60% then it will be re-dry & if it is less than RH 60% then it will pack. So, everyday morning & evening time we should cheek the moisture reading & it will help to make decision it will pack the goods or re-dry.
Some of the tips in the following:
- Sun: Keep your clothes out in the open when the sun is out. This will remove all the moisture from them.
- Silica gel: People keep silica gel pouches in their cupboards or between clothes. Silica soaks up the moisture and does not allow fungus to grow on clothes.
- Vinegar: Wash your clothes with vinegar. Vinegar will remove the mold patches AND the musty smell.
- Lemon and salt: Combine lemon juice and salt to make a thick paste and rub it into fungi-infested areas on clothing, wash and dry.
- Hot water: This is the best way to kill mold spores or if you have a sanities/germ-kill setting on your washing machine.
- Borax: This water-soluble mineral is also a natural mold-killer If you get it as a powder & mix with water as per the instructions on the label.
- Neem: Putting a few arcs of neem stems with leaves attached in your clothes will keep the fungus away from your clothes.
- Light bulb: If possible low-voltage bulb inside your cupboard. It helps generate mild heat which keeps bacteria and moisture.
How to remove the Molds at our Garments industry ?
- Well ventilation
- Proper lighting
- Goods carrying by polythene or Bag
- Fabrics keep in a rack or on the palette (Palette height minimum 4” over the floor)
- Cutting parts handling by poly or bag
- No dampness at walls, windows and storage area.
- All incoming goods keeping at store far min. 6” from wall.
- Paint the wall after stipulated time.
- Spider net must be clean.
- Housekeeping should be organizing way.
- All garments send to wash by cover van and should be avoid open vehicle.
- Washing recipe must be follow as standard and D-sizing must be follow.
- Use Iron cloth by synthetic i/o cotton
- Ensure vacuum table must be proper functional
- After ironing garments must be hang min. two hours at hanging rack
- No food are allowing at working stations.
- Finish cartons must be stack on the palette.
- Check the moisture weekly at all storage area by Hygrometre.
RMG Consultant & Researcher